When it comes to hair extensions, there are several types to consider, each with their own method of installation. You may come across options such as tape-ins, clip-ins, sew-ins, glue-ins, and halos and it can really be confusing to know the advantages of each of them. When choosing a hair extension type, you need to consider the material, price, texture, installation method, and the kind of hairstyle you want to achieve.
If you want semi-permanent hair extensions that need little maintenance and allow you to do all your usual activities, you should consider weft extensions. There are several good reasons why this choice stands out and may be suitable for you.
Below, we’ll explore the advantages of choosing weft extensions and why they might be the ideal option for you.
What are weft extensions?
Weft hair extensions are created by sewing or bonding hair strands into a narrow strip of fabric which is typically made of cotton or lace. This fabric strip with strands is called the weft. The strands placed in the weft can either be natural or synthetic.
Wefts with natural human hair are the premium choice because it is more versatile and natural looking. On the other hand, synthetic hair is the more affordable option, but there are styling limitations.
Are weft extensions the right choice for you?
Weft extensions can be a suitable choice if you’re looking for versatility and affordability with natural-looking results. They are the perfect solution if you’re looking for a semi-permanent hair attachment to last for several months. They can blend seamlessly with your hair and give it a fuller appearance.
However, it’s important to know the drawbacks as well. Weft extensions require maintenance and changes to hair care routines. For instance, you need to use a milder type of shampoo and conditioner or one that’s specifically made for hair extensions. You also need to schedule hair maintenance appointments every few months to have professional hairdressers adjust and check the condition of your wefts.
Despite these maintenance efforts, weft extension offers a range of benefits for your hair styling needs. These include:
- Versatility – Wefts come in various colors, lengths, textures, and hairstyles that can match any type of hair and make it look seamlessly integrated into your natural hair.
- Affordability – Wefts are generally considered mid-priced and affordable compared to other types of hair extensions such as the ‘strand by strand’. Depending on the type of weft extensions you are buying, the price range can be anywhere between $100 – $2000.
- Blending – Weft extensions, especially if it’s made from Remy hair, will blend seamlessly with your natural hair and can be styled any way you like. Just be sure to stay away from hair care products that contain sulfate and alcohol.
- Less damaging – Weft extensions are laid flat evenly across the scalp, evenly distributing the weight of the hair strands. This reduces the strain when attached to the natural hair, therefore reducing damage and breakage.
- Installation options – Weft extensions allow different methods of installation techniques. This allows you to choose which one suits your hair texture and you feel more comfortable with.
How to attach weft extensions
Weft extensions come in various lengths, colors, and textures to match various hairstyles and hair types. It can be attached to the hair by braiding, sewing, or using glue. Here’s an overview of the different ways you can attach wefts to your hair:
- Braided – These are suitable for individuals with thick hair who want their extensions integrated into their natural hair for a more semi-permanent and secure attachment. Small braids are created near the scalp and the wefts are sewn into the braids.
- Weaved-in – These are ideal for those with hair of medium thickness. These are attached by being sewn directly into the horizontal braids along the scalp.
- Glued-in – A special bonding glue is used to attach wefts onto hair. Section the hair in the area where you want to attach the weft, then apply a thin layer of hair glue.
- Taped-in – These are suitable for those with finer hair strands and looking for a temporary, reusable option. The application process is quick and easy, and you can do it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
Given these options, you should be able to have an idea of which type of hair attachment method you feel most comfortable in. Ultimately, the suitability of weft hair extensions depends on your hair type, individual needs, and lifestyle.
Weft extensions are a great option for transforming your hair instantly at a reasonable price. They will blend seamlessly with your hair, come in different installation methods, and can be styled according to your liking. You can easily attach them by yourself at home or have them done professionally by a hairdresser.
With proper maintenance and a little help from a professional hairdresser, you can have your dream hairstyle and wear them with confidence and flair.