Blackjack has been the heartbeat of casinos in New Zealand and the rest of the world for generations. While it’s a game of chance where card flipping is random, your gameplay skills has a significant impact on the outcome. That’s why you should use the right blackjack strategies to increase your winning odds.
If you are interested in blackjack, you will be better off if you first understand the ins and outs of navigating the gameplay before putting your money on the line. So, here’s your opportunity to learn the dos and don’ts for responsible and enjoyable gaming, whether you play blackjack online or at a land-based casino establishment.
During blackjack gameplay, the dealer is supposed to follow specific rules, and when you hit on a stiff hand, it may cause them to bust, resulting in a win for you! Well, however tempting it is to try improving your hand during this moment, sometimes it’s so much better to watch and let the dealer struggle. It helps you to remember the struggles of hitting the next time you’re dealt a less-than-ideal hand.
Abiding by the basic gameplay strategy helps players understand how they can play every single hand against all potential dealer up-cards. This statistical approach tells you when to hit, double, stand, or split to maximize your winning chances. So, to increase your payout potential, start by learning our cheat chart and practicing the following basic strategies:
- Stand on a hard 17+. The dealer may show an Ace or 10, but if you have a 17 or higher, hold the hand instead of trying to improve it;
- Double down on when you have a hard 11;
- Whenever your starting hand comprises a pair of 8s or aces, it is best to split them irrespective of the dealer’s hand, whether it will require an additional bet. It’s also the same situation with Nines, but if the dealer has an Ace, 7, or 10, make a stand;
- Never split the 10s; instead, stand with this starting hand. 20 gives you a great winning chance;
- If the dealer has an up card higher than 8 (i.e., 9, 10, or Ace), you should hit on Ace-7. This is because the dealer will likely form a higher value hand than 18;
- Stand with 12 whenever the dealer shows their 4, 5, or 6. Otherwise, you can hit because the dealer’s hole card will probably lead to a hand with more strength than a 12;
- Stand with when you have anything from 13 to 16 against the dealer’s 2 through 6. In case the up card of the dealer is higher, you should instead hit in a bid to boost the hand. But then again, if you have the option to surrender, use it on 16 on the dealer’s 9, 10, or Ace.
Knowing these blackjack patterns could significantly lower the house edge and cut down on your losses as a result. However, luck still plays a massive role in 21 as it’s a gambling game, after all.
As much as you may be caught up in the electric adrenaline rush of high-stakes action, it’s critical to practice moderation with your wagers and enjoy the game longer without draining your wallet. Sticking to a specific bankroll and betting moderately ensures you gamble responsibly.
So, money management is paramount whether you’re playing at brick-and-mortar casinos or online blackjack. Figure out an amount you can comfortably lose; then, you can begin making moderate bets. It ensures you’re not swayed by the idea of potentially landing big wins from high stakes.
Insurance bets may seem like a good contingency plan in case the dealer unveils an ace. However, in the 21 game, this bet has a higher house edge, and as such, it is a statistically poor option over time. It’s better to spend your money on the main game.
While some blackjack tables may award 6:5 payouts instead of the 3:2 player-friendly payouts, others might establish specific rules like doubling after you split or the dealer making a stand on soft 17. Therefore, before you settle on a particular table, always check the specific rules.
Beyond this, choosing the right table is one of the most overlooked gameplay strategies. Go for tables where the minimum wager is 5% of your bankroll or less. Moreover, a table with a friendly dealer can level up the enjoyability of your gameplay.
Playing blackjack improves with practice. Additionally, having the correct strategy is vital whether you prefer a brick-and-mortar casino or playing online. Different moves will give you a better winning edge as you enjoy the game. So, keep practicing and keep trying out a couple of techniques to see what works for you best.